Sunday, January 9, 2011

In search of the Level 5 Leader

For a long time since reading Good to Great, I have been conscious of the leaders I have encountered in my career for good or for bad. As some leaders have come across as good managers, others exhibit good leadership and only a handful amongst them have demonstrated the Level 5 status described in Jim Collin's book.

Jim Collins described Level 5 Leadership as a ferocious leader who will do whatever it takes to achieve results and performance for the company.  Most importantly the humility of this type of leader is exemplified by the way in which they attribute success. When reflecting upon the source of their success rather than look in the mirror at themselves they are looking through a window towards their employees whom are all looking back at the source of their respective success.

It's remarkable how that picture of leadership can really resonate and permeate within an organization that is lucky enough to have these leaders within their organization. I know for one that my performance has been inspired by the handful of level 5 leaders I have encountered, and as Jim Collins meticulously points out in his book, so have the employees of many companies that have grown from good to great.

I was also struck once by a quote on the walls at the University of Toronto Business school.  It read, "Managers know how to do things right, Leaders know the right things to do." Often there are those who are in leadership positions at companies who have spent a career doing things right but when it comes to managing the performance of others to do the right things the latter can fall flat.  I think that in this day and age when competitiveness, creativity and agility are so important in this economy, Level 5 Leadership should be of the utmost importance to be cultivated at every company.

To me Level 5 leadership has been something I have tried to promote in myself as I grow in my various roles while I watch and adapt various styles that I have seen and responded to.  As leadership is something that is developed and worked on and refined over time, one can hope that you encounter more of these types along your career that help inspire the best performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment